Jul 18, 2014

Meet Music Artist Alex Sharpe

I was introduced to Alex Sharpe by Dr. Steven Young an ophthalmologist in Logan, Utah.

Dr. Young is a gifted pianist/organist himself and finds great pleasure in sharing the power of beautiful music.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Once there was a very shy and quiet young girl.... until one day she stood on a stage and a marvelous and magical journey began!

Alex Sharpe began her career playing Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz at the Olympia Theatre, Dublin.

Since then she has enjoyed playing the following roles.

Bernie, The Raven Beckons, Mila, Aloha Kamiano, Riverbank Theatre Dublin.

Young Sally, Follies in Concert, National Concert Hall, Dublin.

Jenny, Aspects of Love, Olympia Theatre, Dublin.

Kate Foley, The Wiremen, Gaiety Theatre, Dublin.

Cathy, The Last 5 Years, Mill Theatre, Newtownabbey, Lady Ulveigh The Promise Helix Theatre.

Cinderella, Aladdin, Sinbad and Mother Goose, Gaiety Theatre, Dublin.

Eponine, UK National tour; Les Miserables, and Concert tour of Scandinavia.

Bernadette (original cast), in Andrew Lloyd Webber’s The Beautiful Game, London.

As guest soloist Alex has appeared with the RTE Concert Orchestra, Dublin, in The Romps, The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber, Razzle Dazzle, Show Stoppers, Super Troopers, Love is in the Air, Christmas Gala, Broadway and Beyond.

Night of a Thousand Voices, Belfast.

Academy Award Winners, The Birmingham City Orchestra, Birmingham.

Hallé Orchestra, Manchester, the Welsh National Orchestra, Cardiff and the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra in Norway.

With West End International in Beatlemania! Götenborg Opera House, Reykjavik,Iceland Bond - Shaken Not Stirred in the UK.

Show Stoppers, Danish National Symphony, Helsinborg Philharmonic Orchestra.

In 2008 Alex was asked to be one of the soloists with Celtic Woman she toured the States for three years and had the opportunity to perform live on, Dancing with the Stars, The Today Show, Good Morning America and for President Obama at the National Christmas Tree Lighting 2009, along with TV appearances in China and Japan.

In 2009 she recorded the Emmy nominated DVD and Album Songs from the Heart.

Alex appeared as a guest on Jenny Oaks Baker’s Christmas Album “Noel” produced and arranged by Kurt Bestor in August 2012 and was guest soloist on the 25th Anniversary of “A Kurt Bestor Christmas” SLC, Utah and guest soloist with Craig Jessop and the American Festival Chorus and Orchestra at the Ellen Eccles Theatre, Logan, Utah Dec 2012


December 2013 Alex performed with Jenny Oaks Baker at the Festival of Lights in Washington DC and the Annapolis Christmas Pops in Maryland

On the 7th of April she released her debut solo album “Be Still My Soul”

In December 2014 she will play the role of “Maleficent” in The Cork Opera House’s production Sleeping Beauty.

I ASKED ALEX TO TELL US
TEN FUN THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT HER

1. I can touch my nose with my tongue…now there’s a talent.

2. I can play the spoons (badly)… I learned to do it for an Irish cabaret and when I was rehearsing The Beautiful Game in London, Andrew Lloyd Webber ask the cast in rehearsals one day if any of us could play any instruments… I said I could play the spoons (mostly as a joke ) and he said OK! Well show us what you can do, and from there on in it stayed in the show in the party scene.

3. I have had a wig fly off on stage!!! Very funny and embarrassing.

4. I quite often answer the phone in a variety of different accents to my friends and find it hard to go back to speaking normal.

5. I am great at the Hula Hoop ;-)

6. My favorite quote is “ to thine own self be true” by William Shakespeare.

7. My favorite flower scent is Freesia.

8. I was raised by a single Mother and I have two brothers. (I am the middle child)

9. I have a guilty pleasure in watching Sumo Wrestling…. I have no idea where that comes from…I find the sport and the whole culture about it fascinating.

10. I learned that I could sing while mimicking my Grandmothers voice.

NEW ALBUM ~ BE STILL MY SOUL.

Here is what Alex says about this album:
For many years people have asked me to record the songs they have heard me sing in church.

They have shared personal experiences with me in those moments of listening that have convinced me there is a great power in sacred music that goes beyond the abilities of the human voice.

Although I have made a career out of being a Musical Theatre performer and as a soloist performing a wide variety of musical styles, I cannot deny that singing a hymn or song sacred in nature is a very different experience.

Alex has an incredible voice!

This really is a BEAUTIFUL CD...I have already fallen in love with it and have listened to it over and over again :)

Songs included are:
Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, Abide With Me, I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go, Jesus the Very Thought of Thee, Joseph Smith's First Prayer, I Am a Child of God/Love One Another, His Name, O My Father, Be Still My Soul, I know That My Redeemer Lives, My Heart Was Home Again




This CD carries with it a power to 
change lives!




Many stories have already been shared where this CD has made a difference

~ Let it touch your heart ~

Amazon | Deseret Book

5 comments:

  1. beautiful,tears down my face from grief and joy,alex you truly are an angel and by gosh i miss u in ct but maybe in eire we will meet one day,love always from a half irish gal in holland@county cork

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful isn't it~
      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!
      Come visit this site again :)

      Delete
  2. Roger from Pennsylvania sent me this email...I want to include it here:
    I am a 73-year-old retired pastor from a non-LDS church. I recently had an uplifting experience at a time when I was at an all-time low point in my faith in Jesus. The person who conveyed the love of Jesus most powerfully to me at that time was Alex Sharpe through her exquisitely beautiful album of hymns titled "Be Still, My Soul." Besides the title song, the CD includes such faith-filled favorites as "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing," "Jesus the Very Thought of Thee," "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" and my favorite musical prayer "Abide With Me." On "Abide With Me" she interpolates a musical quotation from Psalm 23, which inspires me to realize that the Lord does indeed abide with us as the Good Shepherd abides with his flock. And one of the songs on Alex's CD that really touches my spirit is her lovely interpretation of "I'll Go Where You Want me To Go." Alex self-financed the CD as a labor of love for the Lord. I pray that the Lord will lead members of the magnificent Mormon Tabernacle Choir to hear Alex on her current tour with Celtic Woman, which will be in Salt Lake City on June 10, and in her solo concert in Logan, Utah with Steve Young and others in August, and that the choir will invite Alex to be a featured guest soloist. What a wonderful blessing that would be for us all. Peace and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you heard Alex sing Abide With Me with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in August. If not, it should be available online soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it amazing?!
      I was able to meet her while she was her in Utah :)
      She is so beautiful in presence and voice-
      She is also a very humble person and so gracious-

      Delete

 

I Love to Read and Review Books :) Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template