Apr 2, 2013

Healing from Neglect

Book Details:
Author: Janene Baasdgaard
Release Date: 2013
Publisher: Cedar Fort, Inc.
Genre: Self-Help
Janene Baadsgaard Guest Post
HEALING FROM NEGLECT . . .
When Those We Love Don’t Love Us

How would you describe yourself?
One woman introduced me to a group I was speaking to as . . .  Janene Baadsgaard, professional “happifier”.  I like that description because helping others to feel happy is what I like to do. It takes courage and resiliency to face the difficulties of life.

What inspired you to write this book?
             Perhaps the greatest joy in life is to love and be loved. The sad truth is that many of us are hurting inside because some of those we choose to love do not love us in return and we need help figuring out what to do about it.
I’ve been a journalist specializing in family life issues for three decades in newspapers, magazines, and books. This career has placed me in the unique position to interview numerous professionals and in the field and also to receive letters, e-mails, and phone calls from readers all over the world. The most heartbreaking pleas for help I’ve received concern abuse and neglect. While I don’t claim to be an expert, I want to share what I’ve learned from my research, interviews, personal experience and readers.
On a personal note, I was involved in destructive relationships myself for over fifty years and didn’t know what to do because I loved the people who abused and neglected me. After a major crisis I finally found the courage to change  . . . me. I stopped tolerating mistreatment.

You published a book called HEALING FROM ABUSE last year. How is this book different?
HEALING FROM NEGLECT focuses on the neglect side of abuse and is a perfect companion to HEALING FROM ABUSE because it allowed me to go into more detail about the part of abuse we often leave out of discussions . . . neglect. Because neglect is every bit as devastating as any other form of abuse, this new book is a vital discussion about a side of abuse that is often ignored or misunderstood.

Have you had a professional review this book?
Yes. Here’s one example.
“Janene Baadsgaard has written a comprehensive description of, and a powerful antidote for, all types of abuse and neglect. Her wisdom, clarity and compassion for victims of abuse and neglect provide immediate access to healing information and hope. Every chapter is worth hours of private therapy. I will be handing it out to my friends, colleagues and clients.”
Marilee Van Wagenen, Licensed Clinical Social Worker

Do you have one sentence that describes your book?
HEALING FROM NEGLECT helps readers recognize abuse & neglect, overcome the effects of destructive relationships, then heal and move forward.

Who should buy your book?
Most of us have been involved in a destructive relationship or we know someone who is. What do we do if the person we love abuses us? We all deserve to be treated with kindness and respect. If the person we have a close relationship with mistreats us, it is time to stop tolerating abuse. This book tells us how to untangle ourselves from destructive relationships without losing our capacity to trust and to love again.

Can you share a rewarding experience since being published?

I have grateful readers visit me at book signings, come to my house or call and tell me about how my books have changed their life. One reader said after reading HEALING FROM ABUSE and removing herself from a destructive relationship, it was the first time in her life when she actually looked forward to the rest of her life.

What is your goal in writing this book?
My desire is that this book will help stop our personal and societal tolerance for abuse and neglect. Abusers seldom change their destructive behavior, so those who are mistreated need to change. We have to stop tolerating mistreatment.

If someone is interested in your writing where can they follow you?
I have a twitter account as Family Life Author @JWBaadsgaard

I have two face book pages:

I have an author page on Goodreads
I have a account at Pinterest 

You are also known for your humorous and heart-warming books. What are some of the other books you have written?
            For Every Mother
Why Does My Mother’s Day Potted Plant Always Die?
The LDS Mother’s Almanac                  
Families Who Laugh . . . Last
            Family Finances for the Flabbergasted  
Is There Life After Birth?
            On The Roller-Coaster Called Motherhood   
15 Secrets to a Happy Home
Grin and Share It . . . Raising a Family with a Sense of Humor
A Sense of Wonder . . . Helping Children Discover Their Own Self Worth
Expecting Joy
Sister Bishop’s Christmas Miracle
Winter’s Promise

My Review:
This book has A LOT of really good information, helpful ideas, and to-do-list in how to heal from neglect and learn to love again. It gives you a lot to ponder about and it also gives you encouragement in how to break that chain and move forward with strength and confidence.

(A digital review copy of this title was provided by the author for this review. However, all reviews are of my own opinion :)


1 comments:

  1. Great interview. I'm so glad you shared it here. Awesome book and awesome author!

    ReplyDelete

 

I Love to Read and Review Books :) Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template